Monday, October 6, 2014

A New Novel by OTP Author John M. Wills!


Today on The Back Deck Blog, fellow Oak Tree Press author, John M. Wills, is joining us to talk about his new book, "Healer", which was released a few weeks ago. I've already read it and highly recommend it! So let's get to know a little more about John and his latest work!

                


Tell us a little about yourself and your latest book.



I’m retired from the FBI. Before that I spent 2 years in the military and 12 years as a Chicago cop. I’ve been married to the love of my life, Christine, for 44 years. We’ve been blessed with three children and 4 grandchildren.









My new release is called, HEALER. It’s the story of 16-year-old Billy Anderson who faces more than his share of adversity. Heckled in school because of a birth defect, and suffering the loss of both parents, he nevertheless maintains his strong faith and faces each day with remarkable courage. Billy’s life takes a dramatic turn one day when while attending church, an elderly woman dies in his arms. Before she takes her last breath, she tells him, “Receive the gift of healing.” This remarkable gift changes not only Billy’s life, but everyone around him.


(With my apologies, I can't seem to upload images to my blog today, so I'm going to post the amazon.com link to "Healer")
http://www.amazon.com/Healer-Novel-John-M-Wills/dp/1610091752/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1412603609&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=healer%2C+john+m.+wills

      When did you decide you wanted to be a writer?



It was after I retired from the FBI. I began writing articles on officer training and safety, but yearned to write fiction. While I continue to write non-fiction, I’ve published more than 150 articles to date, I enjoy writing novels, short stories, and poetry.


               What steps did you take to learn the art of novel writing?


I’m self taught, trial and error has been my writing instructor. Those who have followed my career tell me they see the progression. However, 33 years of writing police reports and affidavits certainly helped my writing development.


             Who are some of your favorite writers and how did they influence you?


I enjoy reading works by Richard Paul Evans and Dan Walsh. Their character development and smooth dialogue quickly caught my attention, as well as their wholesome stories.

 

              What do you do when you're not writing?

 

I read . . . a lot. I’m a book reviewer for the New York Journal of Books and a member of the National Book Critics Circle. Reading books by different authors and genres other than my own makes for a better writer. I’m not sure other writers grasp that simple truth, but I’ve discovered it’s a marvelous way of improving one’s own craft.

 
                  What are you working on next?

 

I’m working on a novel about a troubled marriage. I think it’s a topic everyone can relate to, inasmuch as there are so many divorces and separations in our lives.



 Thanks for joining us today, John, and I hope everyone gets a chance to read "Healer"! Thanks for giving me this opportunity to promote your work!

2 comments:

  1. Nice interview revealing more about John's versatility. Will look forward to that next novel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've led an interesting life, John. All these experiences add depth to your books. Nice interview.
    Made me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete