Monday, January 16, 2017

What's Cookin'?

If there's anything I enjoy more than writing, it's cooking.

I love to read cookbooks and I love perusing recipes online. I used to subscribe to three different cooking magazines until I realized that I didn't have time to read them all, much less make all the recipes (plus, how many recipes for lasagna does one need??)

I like to be adventurous in the kitchen, which is why I'll read a recipe and sometimes begin to imagine it with different ingredients. I like to put my own spin on things by substituting favorites. Shrimp instead of scallops, spinach instead of kale, maybe a squeeze of lemon, green chile makes everything better... and it can be hit or miss. Either my husband and son will demand it be made again and again or it will be retired on the grounds that sometimes even unconditional love has some limits.

In a way, that pretty much describes my writing habits. I feed my writing and story-creating by reading a lot of books. This explains why my house has hundreds of books in it, many which have been read over and over. And this is why the flavor of what I love to read permeates my own writing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. My beta-readers definitely let me know if it's not tasting good. And thankfully my readers have been telling me that they like what they're getting!

It's good to have a creative outlet that feeds the body and the soul. Cooking and writing do both for me. Both are a labor of love. And once the cleanup is done--dishes and editing--it's always fun to start again!
Migas and beans... comfort food at it's best! You'll find my recipe and many others in the Oak Tree Press authors cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Recipes-Book-Tree-Authors-Cook/dp/1610092554/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1484523073&sr=1-1&keywords=recipes+by+the+book+oak+tree+authors+cook

No comments:

Post a Comment