Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Things I've Learned to Like....

Hard to believe, isn't it?  That there was a time I didn't like wine.

Like most people, I've had to start liking things a little at a time.  Just a few years ago (less than five, actually), the height of wine sophistication for me was white zinfandel.  Beringer.  And that was IF I purchased wine or ordered it in a restaurant.  And I still don't know why I even bought it or ordered it.

At the time, I didn't even like it that much.

But because I've always had a natural curiosity about things, it wasn't unusual for me (and my husband) to try something new and go to a wine festival.  We went and had no clue whatsoever what we were doing or what we were supposed to be doing... but we had a lot of fun!

Our taste has expanded considerably from those early wine-tasting days.  Where once we hardly ventured out of the safety zone of sweet wines, our preferences have grown to include some hearty cabernets (Paul is more adventurous than I am) and crisp, acidic whites.  Whereas drinking wine was once something that bordered on being a "duty" (quit snickering), it's become an adventure and a pleasure.

Other things I had to learn to like included cooking.  Cooking wasn't something I did for fun; I did it to keep my husband and son alive.  But as time went on (and meatloaf was no longer as thrilling as it once was), I started reading cookbooks and recipe magazines and felt a stirring of excitement and adventure... much like visiting a wine fest for the first time!  Now I enjoy cooking and wish I had more time for it.

It never ceases to amaze me what I can learn to like.  I also amazes me when people refuse to try something new because they KNOW they won't like it!  How do they know?  All I know is that, while I have found myself disappointed a few times, for the most part my reaction is, "I wish I'd done this sooner!"

What did you learn to like?

No comments:

Post a Comment